Coronavirus: 21 J&K Residents Return From China, No Positive Case Found
JAMMU – Twenty-one people arrived back to Jammu and Kashmir from coronavirus-hit China this week and they have been kept under home observation, officials said on Wednesday.
No case of coronavirus has been found in the UT so far, they added.
As many as 21 persons — seven from Jammu and 14 from Kashmir — have arrived in Srinagar and Jammu during the last few days and they have been kept under home isolation, a senior officer of the Health department said.
Tests were conducted on 11 passengers — seven from Jammu and four from Kashmir — and sent to a laboratory in Pune, he said.
Of these, seven reports have arrived back and all of them are negative, the officer added.
“All these people are under observation and are being monitored. They have been asked to remain in isolation and take necessary precautions. However, no one has been hospitalised,” he said.
The new strain of coronavirus, which originated in Hubei province in central China late last year, has so far killed 490 people in that country and infected further 24,324. Globally, around 130 cases have been reported and three of them are from Kerala, India.
Admin Says No Need To Panic
The Jammu and Kashmir Union Territory administration on Wednesday said that there was no need to panic about the coronavirus as the health machinery is fully geared up to tackle the threat.
Financial Commissioner, Health and Medical Education, Atal Dulloo said that there were no confirmed case of the virus infection, so far, in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and all the samples taken have been tested as negative.
“The government is vigilant and taking regular updates on the situation. The people are requested not to panic due to this deadly virus,” Dulloo said, adding “The administration is completely alert and making all preventive measures towards ensuring safety of the people”, he added.
He said that adequate arrangements have been made at the government run hospitals to face any such eventuality. He said that isolation wards have been kept at the hospitals where team of doctors and paramedics have been deployed to observe people with the symptoms.
Dulloo said that proper protocol is being followed as suggested by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and samples are being taken of the people who come from China or other virus affected country.
He said that hoardings have also been placed at the airports and other places educating people about the virus besides helpline numbers have also been made available at these locations.
However, he advised for maintaining basic hand and personal hygiene as a precautionary measure.